What is Contents Insurance and Why should you have it?

21 November 2022


21st of November is World TV Day. There is an estimated 27 MILLION TVs in the UK but only 40% of people who rent their homes have content insurance. That leaves a lot of TVs without cover.

What is content insurance?

Contents only insurance

Covers the contents of the house such as furniture and possessions. It also includes cover for tenant’s fixtures and fittings where the policyholder is the tenant. An example of tenant’s fixtures and fittings may be if you had spent your money on laying a carpet.

Extensions of Cover

Many markets can tailor your policy to include extensions of cover.  This means further optional cover extensions can be added to a contents policy (such as accidental loss or damage cover for personal possessions which are taken outside the home, legal expenses, etc.) If you work from home, it is possible to cover your office equipment. Most policies will have a limit on the amount they will pay out for any one item. The amount varies between insurers, so it is important to ask.

Specified Items

This would apply to anything that goes over the limit mentioned above. For instance, a bicycle worth £5000 would likely be a specified risk.

Why should you have Contents insurance?

You may not think that you have much worth insuring, but how much would it cost you to replace absolutely everything?

Your furniture, TV, smart phones, laptops, clothes, musical instruments. The list is endless.

Any one of the following disasters can occur at any time, completely erasing what you have worked hard to own.

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Theft (1/43 chance)
  • Escape of water
  • Accidental damage

On average, a household has £35,000 worth of belongings.

The average contents policy, however, is £145 and can be done in a simple phone call – 01924 8772204


WTJ Insurance

Landmark House, 556 Leeds Road,
Outwood, Wakefield, WF1 2DX

Call: 01924 871 111